iFile – MobileFinder replacement, system file browser for the iPhone

by Piyansh on March 28, 2009 · 44 comments

Filed in: Apps,Cydia,Reviews

iFile which is available via Cydia is probably the best file system navigator available on the iPhone. It is like MobileFinder which allows you to access system files and allows renaming as well.. The app is much more stable than MobileFinder but has limited features. Below is a comparison of the two apps

iFile is a file browser with capabilites to delete, copy, cut, paste, rename, view and transfer files.

ifile ifile4

Pros:

• >iFile allows multiple file deletion which is not present in MobileFinder.
  • >iFile is much more stable and its interface is better than MobileFinder
  • >iFile allows you to view files like excel, powerpoint,doc etc from within the app. It also allows you to play media like videos of all supported formats as well as songs. MobileFinder doesn’t
  • >A new feature added is that you can transfer any files over wifi to your Pc wirelessly.
  • >Supports Landscape mode

Cons:

• The app doesn’t allow you to change the permissions and file properties/attributes.
  • The app doesn’t have copy/cut/paste features. It doesn’t allow to create new folders.
  • The app has limited options. It doesn’t have a settings menu like MobileFinder which allows you to have toggles to enable application launch, executive launch, system file access etc.

Complete Features

• Integrated File Browser with support for
    • Deletion, copy, cut (move) and paste of multiple files or directories at once
    • Renaming of files or directories
  • Integrated Web Server with download and upload capability for files to current directory of File Browser
  • File Viewers with support for following file types
    • Sound File Types: aac, amr, alac, wav, pcm, mp3
    • Text File Types: txt, c, cpp, h, m, strings, css
    • Movie File Types: mov, mp4, mpv, m4v, 3gp
    • Image File Types: gif, jpeg, jpg, png, tiff
    • Document File Types: rtf, html, htm, pdf
    • Microsoft File Types: doc, xls, ppt
    • Other File Types: plist, xml
  • Localizations: English, German, Spanish
  • Comes with full documentation for all localizations (reason for package size)

Finding option to copy / paste was hard to locate; but got it at last. It actually shows up as an icon on the bottom right after you click Edit.

Available via BigBoss Source in Cydia

{ 44 comments }

Ty April 12, 2009 at 11:46 pm

***READ***

iFile has been updated to allow copy/cut and paste, and attribute/properties modifications as well.

It has a settings option, too, that unfortunately only has one option, but in the publisher’s notes for future updates he mentions it will have more.

And I have had personal contact with the creator, and he has let me know that the next release WILL include file/folder creation.

People, seriously, you’d be insane not to install iFile. Each update (that is pumped out practically every week) includes new features and updates. I dunno why I ever used MobileFinder before this. :D

Dan McG August 12, 2009 at 6:50 pm

On reviews please list that the app costs $.

This one costs $4 in the Cydia Store. Great app though and worth the price if you do any sort of file manipulation.

caroline August 13, 2009 at 1:55 am

iFile works… really good in fact, but if I go to /var/mobile/Media/iTunes_Control/Music, then I see my music mp3′s in the form of a directory like F03 en file like ANXY.mp3
This means these files are completely unrecognizable.
Is there a solution for this?

Regards, Caroline

blackwave64 August 22, 2009 at 10:23 pm

can you add the option to map network drives to ifile

Jag September 8, 2009 at 2:26 am

Hello,

I’ve downloaded iFile and its installed, also got Safari plugin as well. When I download a .MP3 file it goes into /download directory on the Iphone. How can I put these files onto IPOD without doing it through a PC?

Your response will be much appricated.

Thanks

Jag

baiju September 11, 2009 at 10:47 am

i have the same query as of jag dt 8 sept 2009. how can you tranfer your music from ifile downloads to your ipod in your iphone without using a pc . your response will be highly appreciated.

baiju September 11, 2009 at 6:32 pm

i have send my comments earlier also. to make it simpler, is there a way by which i can tranfer my music lying in ifile -library- downloads in my iphone to my PC or to my ipod in my iphone. the idea is to take backup of my music. advice from the author or anybody will be apprecited. email add is baiju_bhagat@yahoo.com.

Piyansh September 11, 2009 at 9:25 pm

Transfering files from iPhone to PC can be quite tricky..you have to go to the hidden folders inside var/mobile/media/iTunes_control/Music and tranfer all folders there to your PC . However, the names of the song and folder appear in different wierd names…So you cant come to know what songs are they..However one trick is to classify them according to their artists and albums so when you are searching (advanced search on windows) you can find your songs..but it still might not be accurate as there might be many songs in the same album or artists category..I hope I have answered your query

wayne September 14, 2009 at 10:50 am

hi my cydia keep crashing and i need to get ifile on my iphone 2g with 3.0 firmware . is there a ota ifile app i can download it from instead of useing cydia cuz it keeps crashing

wayne September 14, 2009 at 10:51 am

can you email me back if you guys know of a site thank you very much waynekavanaugh26@gamil.com

Piyansh September 22, 2009 at 1:52 pm

wayne you can use iPhone Browser which is a PC windows sofware instead of ifile..

Well guys iFile now is paid but the there are features which you can use for free..

west_koz December 24, 2009 at 4:35 am

i was messing with the program and delet some files of the SMS app. now i cant send messages or reed them. can i get a list of the name of the folders the app carries. along with the subfolders? will reallyyy apreciate it. thanx

Shahi March 19, 2010 at 1:22 pm

Can someone PLEASE HELP ME on this situation!!

Ok, when I go to iFile I wanted to change the name in var/mobile/Applications, and you see a bunch of letters, and codes, and I touched the arrow, then I changed the name. (I did this so I know which app I am going into.) So I exit put of iFile, and then I go to the app i just changed the name in iFile. (When u change the name, nothing happens.) It justs goes blackscreen, then it just goes back to the springboard/apps.

I did this with most of my apps.
PLEASE HELP ME IF YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO!!!!

B4rad March 20, 2010 at 3:31 am

^ Mate, i did the exact same, and i am having the exact same problem. PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP

B4rad March 20, 2010 at 3:58 am

Ok, Shahi. What i did to fix most of them is:

When i opened the apps it also just closed.
I did a respring
And then to my horror the apps were gone
However they were still there but the pictures were not.
I then opened iFile and closed it when it had loaded to the Applications folder.
Then all my apps were back and working.

(PS) Before you do this change the prefrences in iFile to Off where it asks ‘Save on Exit”

Hope this helps ;)

Makesomenoisefor#87 March 20, 2010 at 9:16 am

hey so I’m trying to SSH into my iPod to transfer some files (via iFile), but the thing I’m trying to get onto there is a folder, and I cant drag and drop it, because instead of copying, it just opens the contents of the file in the iFile window. how do I make this work?

B4rad March 21, 2010 at 6:54 am

Ok Shahi i now know how to fix the the problem. This will be clearer than my last post.
Once the app names are changed press home button
Respring the device ( the apps will now not be visible) Dont Worry
Unlock it and then Respring again
Go into iFile
Navigate to the Applications folder
Once the App folder has loaded press home button
The Apps should now work
If not then continue going into iFile and closing it until they appear

Jakephone March 26, 2010 at 3:29 am

I have the same question as jag and baiju. I think it’s safe to say that most people know how to send the downloaded files to you pc and sync them with iTunes. But there are many people who are looking for a way to do this without a computer. I tried to copy and paste my downloaded songs into my iTunes folder but have had no luck. When I went into my iPod app and searched for my downloaded songs it only says no results found. I am curious if I need to send these downloaded songs to a different folder so my iPod app can recognize them or what? The main question that still remains unanswered is this: how does one transfer songs they have downloaded via dtunes onto their regular playlist in the iPod app witouth the use of a computer and ssh?

ardotcom April 5, 2010 at 5:37 am

Before this my iFile can play continuous song, after crash i install a new one and it cannot play a continuous song. How to setting?

Jacky Lam April 14, 2010 at 9:41 am

How can I transfer files over wifi to PC?

cheerulz April 18, 2010 at 11:10 am

in ifile i start to bluetooth transfer anything from one to the other and the one that is sending crashes everytime

Tonecorc April 29, 2010 at 8:36 pm

I cannot get iFile to work. I can sometimes link but ususally a network problem exists even though my phone is connected and I am putting in the right address.

Any help sites out there?

j April 30, 2010 at 6:00 am

I have a jailbroken Iphone and love it but I’m still a rookie working on it how can I tranfer music to itunes to my iphone without it deleted my cracked apps? Also I deleted some files in ifile they were my music files and when i try to play a song on the ipod part of the iphone they won’t play is there a way i can find a scan or trash can in ifile? please email me back if anyone can help me Jdominguez23@yahoo.com.

Coolman25 May 7, 2010 at 9:46 am

Has anyone figured out how to transfer without using a computer like jag was saying I have tried to copy and paste songs but won’t show up in iTunes please help if it possibel. Thank you.

Shashi May 8, 2010 at 9:05 am

Hey guys, I have another problem, but i fixed the other one!!!
Ok, one day I was trying to copy illumine icons an there were like 4,500+ icons so it crashed!!
Now when I go into iFile, it just opens and it just shows the background of my home screen!!! I really need help!!!!

Thanks
Shashi

Nick May 18, 2010 at 9:20 am

I know its been asked a couple times but there still hasnt been an answer.

Is there a way to move downloaded mp3′s using just iFile (without doing it over the computer) into the iTunes folder to be able to play them using the ipod app on the phone? Copy and pasting the file into /var/mobile/Media/iTunes_Control/Music doesnt work.

jT May 23, 2010 at 2:41 pm

hey guys i accidentally deleted the systems folder on ifile and my itouch crashed.now i can’t seem to jailbreak it again

wasim jadoon June 14, 2010 at 7:12 pm

i need help to use ifile,??? how to delete unwanted files, any body write for me step by step

brian phan July 14, 2010 at 2:54 am

If you are using ifile, go into settings and turn on the application name. That should do the trick

eddy July 24, 2010 at 5:50 am

hey guys my cydia crashed and i need to install ifile on my iphone so that i can make it work,i don’t have installer on my phone so i have to ssh ifile through my pc,can it be done?i just drag the ifile and put it un my phone?or is there any commands that should be written?? plz help

david July 27, 2010 at 6:47 am

Pls help me people….i used iflile since my cydia isnt working and didnt know the files i deleted cause they were a whole lot…so now all my winterboard app arent working anymore…i lost my messages,contacts too..Please i need help to recover then back..pls help

david July 27, 2010 at 6:48 am

Poorna September 13, 2010 at 6:59 pm

i lost all my sms after goin into the sms folder after i closed the ifile….pls help me….???

Poorna September 13, 2010 at 7:06 pm

and i also couldn fina a way to go into the trash….i really want the chats back…..could anyone help me pls….???

daniel October 13, 2010 at 12:38 pm

PLease reply soon. How do i transfer downloaded files to PC over wifi?

Caelan October 15, 2010 at 2:58 pm

Hey, I know it’s been asked and answered a few times but it’s still unclear or it didn’t work; I changed the name of the app folders so I knew what each one was, and I changed the name of a few apps while I was there, so I tap the home button, and re-sprung it, and the apps that I changed the name of the folder of are gone.
PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO FIX THIS.
I’M GOING INSANE. D:

SS October 31, 2010 at 11:36 am

in ifile i changed permissions of some system folders to read,write,execute,sticky for some purpose after then when i reboot my iphone, it just shows apple icon and doesnt go forward…PLS anyone help me………shrini07@gmail.com

Ranga December 21, 2010 at 2:40 am

I deleeted some files on ifile because I thought that I didn’t need them but it seems I deleted an app that plays videos. Now I can’t play videos. Please help

Teso December 28, 2010 at 2:59 am

@ pona

I couldn’t find the trash folder there. I deleted some modern combat 2 stuff so it looked like I shot fire but now it gets in the way whenever I snipe pls help.!!

Harib January 2, 2011 at 1:30 am

Dear Sir,

Please help me i Can’t forward my all a/c emails. What advice and help you can give me to resolve this problem.

Regards,

Harib Suhail-Oman

Stupid Iphone User February 2, 2011 at 3:32 am

Where the heck IS the trash located in iFile? See, I like to touch stuff before I know how to freekin’ use it and deleted ALL of my photos and videos.

John "Kiwi" Wei February 6, 2011 at 5:03 am

Hi, I got a bit of a problem and i kind of need a LOT of help.

You see here’s the story: I was on iFile where i went through to var/System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app and i came to the N82AP.plist file.
Then i changed a few things and i locked it. Unfortunatly my brother got a hold of it and was still on the n82ap file. He thought it would be neat to erase everything on it and he respringed it. Now it won’t load at all, it is in the off position and when it goes to apple screen it just shows the spinning white thing and nothing else. HELP!!!!

thesaipankid February 14, 2011 at 3:54 am

Hello
I need help the partial folder is deleted. It’s on var/lib/apt/lists how can I fix this problem because my cydia is not working? Really need help on this problem.

khaled March 14, 2011 at 1:34 am

i am using imtoo software for tranfer downloaded videos from iphone to computer. i cut those videos from ifile download folder to ifile DCIM folder which is shown in imtoo. but the large size of videos like 150 mb video file doesn’t shown in imtoo software. which is mkv format. so my request to resposible concern how to tranfer this large of files.