Saurik New duplicate server bluffs iTunes: You can downgrade to lower firmware version

by Abhishek on September 15, 2009 · 21 comments

Filed in: iPhone 3.0 News,Tips/Tricks

Saurik has made it once again !!! He managed to replicate Apple’s Signing server. With this server, you can bluff your iTunes and after that your iTunes will  authenticate firmware versions that Apple no longer signs, and saves the information during the authentication and will let you to downgrade to lower firmware versions, incase if Apple doesn’t want you to.

All you need  to point your iTunes to this new server…

Here, is an excerpt from Saurik’s blog (read the full blog):

To this end, I have constructed a server that duplicates the functionality exposed by Apple’s signature server, except using “on file” results rather than live requests.

So I followed aforementioned steps and modified my host file on Windows 7 and developed a steps that you people can follow:

How to downgrade your iPhone, iPod touch firmware by fooling iTunes :P

• Windows 7 won’t let you modify system file just like that, It will say access denied when you save it, So make sure you login as Administrator.

runasadmin

• Or you can do that by Goto Start menu, type cmd on search box. once it finds right click on it and select Run as Administrator option.

cmdr

• Now type: cd drivers\etc\ and press enter key.
  • Then type notepad hosts and press enter key,This will open the hosts file in notepad.

hostrs

• Just add this: 74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com at the end of file and save it.

newhost

• You are done !!!

savenewhost

David September 15, 2009 at 7:19 pm

Folks need to know that this will work only for those who, in advance, registered their ECID SHSH on Cydia’s site. Only those people can downgrade from 3.1 to 3.0 in this manner.

Abhishek September 16, 2009 at 5:01 pm

Yes for now.

Bob September 19, 2009 at 2:46 am

My phone has 3.0.1. I’ve never registered on his server. but I wonder why I can’t do so now? I’m obviously not using 3.1, so I would think it would still be possible to do this.

johnny g September 29, 2009 at 10:08 pm

3.1 sucks , my phone keeps shutting of and im missing important calls. im so glad i pay for thos service, thanks apple ive proably lost a couple of customers due to this problem, i knew i should of got a blackberry, once again , thanks apple

sam March 3, 2010 at 10:50 am

i tried this. itunes gave error because firmware did not match.

Mando March 18, 2010 at 1:19 pm

ok so i had a jailbroken iphone 3GS with 3.1.2 installed with cydia and i did back up the stuff into Cydia, BUT that phone had a hardware malfuntion and now i have another one but it has the same number…does that mean i’m screwed since it’s an entirely new phone?

Arsalan June 10, 2010 at 3:18 am

hey there
ive got iphone 3gs mc model (new bootrom) 3.1.2 jailbroken n unlocked which got stuck in the bootlogo for sum reason n i had to update….now wht i did before upgrading is tht i savedthe shsh blobs using “autoshsh”….its a software tht automatically stores ur shsh on sauriks server…the problem is tht ive followed all the instructions provided above n did everything accordingly but still itunes doesnt let me pass the “eligble” error they give when downgrading to 3.1.2….ive got windows 7, i clicked on run as an administrator, etc…..now wht should i do????

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you in advance!!

muddie June 24, 2010 at 7:30 am

I have used this method and it works brilliantly.

My question is – Can I use this method to install a custom firmware on a 3Gs (new bootrom) or will I have to wait for a new JB for iOS4? Why does the new bootrom not allow custom firmware install?

Any help is appeciated.

Cheers.

Dom June 27, 2010 at 10:15 pm

The instructions imply that this works for non registered phones since “server will also act as a cache for any SHSH blobs it hasn’t seen, acting as an intermediary to Apple’s server. This effectively registers your device with the “on file” mechanism, which means you can now enjoy the protections of being able to downgrade your firmware in the future even if you aren’t jailbroken.”. This doesn’t appear to be the case since I am trying to downgrade from 4 to 3.1.3 without success, and am getting the ‘not eligible’ message.

Kenji July 28, 2010 at 4:39 am

Works perfectly. I was trying to restore my iPod touch 3g to OS 3.1.2 but apple wasnt having it…thanks to saurik Jobs can lick my salty balls biatch!!…you´re the man.

Eran Brown July 30, 2010 at 11:11 am

Worked fine for me. i was on(ipod touch 3G) ios4.0 and downgraded to 3.1.3 and jailbroke my ipod touch 3g! works fine!

And3baller August 14, 2010 at 6:01 am

I need help. I am using a 2g ipod touch on 3.1.3. I never updated or downgraded. I was having some issues and wanted to restore but itunes kept giving me error 3194. I used the SAurik method and modified the hosts file, but i still keep getting the error 3194. Please HELP me

daniel August 26, 2010 at 4:25 pm

hi people i too am having no luck downgrading 3GS from 4.0.2 to 3.1.3
follow all instructions on both mac and pc.
have not stored SHSH blobs etc on cydia or saurik
just followed instructions and keep getting the ‘this firmware is not eligible’ error (not the numerical error message we’re supposed to get and ignore)
i know this has been done to death but if anyone out there could spare a moment to help a poor sod reclaim use of his 3Gs I would be extrmely grateful! feel free to email me if you can help. thank you in advance to anyone who might help :)

Arsalan August 27, 2010 at 1:06 pm

@daniel i hate to break it up to you buddy but im afraid u cant downgrade without the shsh blobs…..ur stuck for now….on the bright side apple will be releasing ios 4.1 next week and the iphone dev team has confirmed that they’ll start working on the jailbreak which will also jailbreak 4.0.2….. u dont have to wait for a long time..

imacking September 10, 2010 at 12:03 pm

This is not true!
The guy that started this thinking it was possible DID have a backup of his SHSH blob on cydia
any iphone previously to never be jailbroke or have a backup of 4.0.1 or below CAN NOT DOWNGRADE!

Dave September 14, 2010 at 11:49 pm

Is there a reason why when I go to ‘hosts’ file as directed it’s an empty file without any information (it shows 0 kb size)

Marc September 20, 2010 at 2:18 pm

I have Bootloader 6.2 IOS 4.02 and FW 5.14.02 I’ve been able to downgrade to 3.0 and all the up to 4.0.2 and jailbreak no problem. But my Firmware stays at 5.14.02 why is that. Doesn’t every update have it’s own Firmware? What can I do to downgrade to 3.1.2 and also include the damn firmware?
Thanks

imacking September 20, 2010 at 7:41 pm

You can not downgrade modem firmware

cj October 1, 2010 at 7:56 am

i’m on windows XP, i cant get the host notepad to allow me to input the numbers.

ashni October 9, 2010 at 11:14 am

i just bought iphone4 how do i install cydia on my phone?

Joe November 6, 2010 at 10:13 pm

I have an iPhone 4 running 4.1. No shsh. My phone stopped connecting to my eclipse TV radio in my car. My friend has same phone different OS and his connects. Is it possible to save his shsh on server then us it to downgrade?