The iPhone 4 has been in a buzz in the tech world since its announcement. Jobs has managed to meet the expectations of all the Apple users with this mighty iDevice. While the BlackBerry(BB) Bold 9700 took a big leap in comparison to its predecessors in terms of design and performance. Its a tough job to compare BlackBerry and Apple as they both are doing really well when it comes to satisfying their targeted consumers. We won’t be comparing them down here since they both serve different purpose (That is a different story that they are working harder covering the other aspects they are lacking in).
1) Camera: BB comes with a 3.15MP camera, LED flash and a pretty good resolution than what we have seen in earlier BBs. iPhone 4 has upgraded its camera to 5 MP, addition of an LED flash and a better resolution. It packs in a HD video recording capability aswell.
2) Design: The Black Berry Bold has a sleeker design and looks much more masculine as compared to its predecessors. It comes with a battery cover that gives a feeling of a leather. Also it comes with a physical keyboard (QWERTY). On the other hand, the iPhone 4 is all the more sleeker, sexier and has got the front and back glass cover(which are finger print resistant!). The aluminosilicate glass gives it a glossy look, which brings in a major change in its design from its previous versions!
3) Screen: The BB has a 2.44 inch screen which is pretty much the same as its predecessors, but gets a better display resolution (480 x 360 pixels). While the iPhone has made a good improvement by introducing the retina display for which all the techies in the world are falling short of words to describe it! Well more on that coming up in a fortnight 😉 (As we will have our hands on it by that time). The iPhone display is multitouch and sports a resolution of 960×640, which is currently the best any mobile device has seen.
4) Music: Talking about iPhone first, with a 3.5mm jack and the ipod, its a great music device (Please, we ain’t biased towards iPhone!). Next comes BB Bold, it also possesses a 3.5mm audio jack, thus making it a fair play!
5) Features: The BlackBerry Bold comes with an optical trackpad now, making navigation simple on the interface. The BB is faster and smooth when it comes to IM (of course, it excels here!) and the features like doc viewer are too good as you can edit them too. Do we need to speak of the BlackBerry App Store? Of course, you can download many utilities and games from there. Not to forget, BlackBerry Desktop Manager software supports both Mac and PCs. So you can sync your personal music through iTunes/Windows Media Player using BlackBerry Media Sync.
Coming to iPhone 4, it finally features multi tasking and promises a much better battery life. It features the gyro axis, which takes the gaming performance to an all new level, where BB Bold certainly lacks! Apart from this, with iOS 4.0, there are more than 100 features added to iPhone.
6) Memory: The iPhone 4 comes with a 16GB and a 32GB internal storage option while BB has a 256MB flash memory but it can be expanded up to 16GB. Its recently discovered that the iPhone 4 has 512MB of RAM.
7) Pricing: iPhone 4 comes with two options- 16GB for $199 and 32GB for $299 along with AT&T’s contract and the unlocked version might cost you anywhere between $800 to $900. Whereas the BlackBerry Bold 9700 comes for approx $700, unlocked!
So it totally depends on your usage and requirements which will shape your decision to buy either of these!
Quick Specs: iPhone 4 vs BlackBerry Bold 9700
|Feature||iPhone 4||BlackBerry Bold 9700|
|Network||2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
3G Network HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100
|2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
3G Network HSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100
HSDPA 900 / 1900 / 2100
|OS||iOS 4.0||BlackBerry OS 5.0|
|Display||3.5? Retina Display (Capacitive)960×640/ 326 ppiMulti touch||TFT capacitive touchscreen,65K colors 480 x 360 pixels,2.44 inches|
|Camera||5MP camera, LED Flash
HD video recording 720p (@30fps)
FaceTime video calling over WiFi
|3.15 MP, 2048×1536 pixel, Auto Focus,
LED flash, Video Recording
|EDGE||HSDPA, 7.2 Mbps; HSUPA, 5.76 Mbps||HSDPA, 3.6 Mbps|
|Internet Browser||Mobile Safari (more via App Store)||HTML Support|
|Messaging||SMS (threaded view), MMS,Email, Push Email||SMS, MMS, Email, IM|
|Processor||Apple A4, 1GHz||624 MHz processor|
|GPS||AGPS, Google Maps||A-GPS, BlackBerry Maps|
|Battery||unknown||Li-Ion 1500 mAh|
|Colours||Black / White||Black|
|Connectivity||Bluetooth 2.1 AD2PWiFi b/g/n||Bluetooth v2.1 with A2DPWi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n|
|Memory||16GB / 32GB internal||256 MB RAM, 256MB internal storage,2GB card included, expandable upto 16GB|