How to activate iPhone 3G/3GS without original SIM

by Abhishek on July 19, 2010 · 12 comments

Filed in: Tips/Tricks,Troubleshooting,video,Video Demo

You’ve an locked iPhone 3G/3GS or you’ve accidentally locked it, and now you only see “iTunes and Data-cable” picture on your iPhone screen and when you put your SIM and plug in,  iTunes says “SIM card inserted in this phone doesnot appear to be suppported”. Well you can activate iPhone by jailbreaking it, but there are times when Jailbreak tool is not available for that particular version of iOS,  in that case you can use this method.

Sherif Hashim (iPhone Hacker) today posted a nice video where he showed how to activate iPhone 3G/3GS without jailbreaking. All you need SIM card like chip called Phone Book card, which according to Sherrif costs around $4-$5 only, Just Put it on your iPhone 3G/3GS instead of SIM, iTunes will automatically activate your iPhone and if its locked then atleast you can use it all its features apart from making calls.

Note: This will not unlock your iPhone, it will just activate. If you are looking for an unlock then you can use ultrasn0w which can unlock iPhone 3G/3GS with iOS 4.0.1

Here is a nice video done by Sherrif which will guide you on activating your iPhone 3G/3GS without original SIM:

Jailbreak and unlock iPhone 3G running iOS 4.0.1

Unlock iPhone 3G/3GS without WIFI

Ishfaq July 19, 2010 at 1:21 am

Good post! Do u know where to get the Phone Book Card?

yusuf July 20, 2010 at 12:34 am

U can get it on ebay.com …also try ebay.in. Will cost u arnd 900. Its also called universal sim card

Ishfaq July 20, 2010 at 12:37 am

@Yusuf Buddy I already ordered it on EBay.in for Rs.230. eBay.in search DITS ;-)

Hojamuhammet July 23, 2010 at 10:52 am

I’ve formated my iphone, I’m from Turkmenistan , in our country there is no Iphone service. Now it isnot support sim card, when I insert sim card on screen there is no sim card message comming. Please help me.

Ishfaq July 23, 2010 at 2:14 pm

@Hojamuhammet Buddy just buy DITS Phonebook SIM from http://www.eBay.in however u need to confirm with seller if they ship abroad? This will help u activate. By the way which iPhone do u have with which OS installed? if ur on OS 3.1.2 then Simply use Blackra1n to Jailbreak & Activate

Ishfaq July 23, 2010 at 3:38 pm

Your comment is awaiting moderation.

@Hojamuhammet Buddy just buy DITS Phonebook SIM from eBay.in however u need to confirm with seller if they ship abroad? This will help u activate. By the way which iPhone do u have with which OS installed? if ur on OS 3.1.2 then Simply use Blackra1n to Jailbreak & Activate

suresh September 26, 2010 at 8:53 pm

hi…man…..
i have updated my iphone 3g through i tunes from 3.1.3 to 4.0.1
but my iphone has been jailbreaked and hacked in version 3.1.3 ….
after updating i got i tunes screen(please insert the supported sim card)
my question is….
if i use this simcard and going to menu….
with which software i can jailbreak and hack my iphone…..
since there are many software i’m confused…..
can u pls tell me the perfect and safe way to do it

Ishfaq September 26, 2010 at 11:47 pm

@suresh Once you come to the Homescreen using PhoneBook SIM Open Cydia Add this Repo http://www.cydia.pushfix.info Then install Hacktivation Lockdown Patch>Reboot and thats it you worn’t the Error message anymore…Revert If you u need further help..

suresh September 27, 2010 at 6:35 pm

is there any way to activate it without tat sim card

suresh September 28, 2010 at 12:52 am

does it work with i phone 3g ios 4.0.2………….

Opencart Templates October 2, 2010 at 4:51 pm

finally I will be able to use my locked 3gs. thanks

Noman November 24, 2010 at 6:12 am

Hey Ishfaq Dude,
I updated my iPhone 3Gs to version 4.1 nd my baseband is 05.14.02 .. My iphone is working but its still locked i mean my sim is not working so how can i unlock da sim !!!
Plz Help